The other day I listened to the song Comforting Sounds by Mew for the first time and of all the songs I have ever heard in my entire life, it is one of the most beautifully crafted. It encompasses both genuine sadness and happiness, and I think it’s life in nine minutes. I don’t know, I think you just need to sit silently with an open mind, and stare at the sky.
Howl’s Moving Castle mirrors the first world war, and there’s this one scene that has stuck with me. Howl walks through the door in his bird form, exhausted, and sits down to change back into a human. He has trouble, and he and Calcifer talk -
Howl: …some wizards who turned themselves into monsters for the king.
Calcifer: Those wizards are going to regret doing that. They’ll never change back into humans.
Howl: After the war, they won’t recall they ever were human.
What I’m trying to get at is, I don’t completely understand why some people do bad things to other people. I’m not sure if I ever will.. But one thing I do know is that the more you do it, the more you forget. You forget you’re human, and that everyone else is human, too, and we’re really all lost in the same universe.
And that is exactly what I think of the people like those behind the Boston marathon incident.
The first time ever making a mash-up.
I don’t know why I’ve been making so many Coldplay covers lately…
In the past few weeks, I’ve been feeling a little bit too pessimistic for my liking, so this is a list of a few things I like:
- I like the face people make when they leave an air conditioned room to meet 30 degree weather, because it reminds me of how adorably simple humans can be
- I like it when bus drivers smile and wave to each other
- I like the way a little bit of light moves through the trees, and so the shade under all the foliage is speckled with light and dark
- I like the feeling of a warm breeze on a summer’s day
- I like the fact that a sun is completely essential to life. We all partly rely on a star to exist
- I like that on the day after I had felt sad I didn’t have as much time to play guitar due to uni, my chemistry lecturer talked about the physics of guitars
- I like the feeling of relief you get when you’re sick and you sneeze, and no mucus had come out of your nose
- I like the face people make just before they sneeze. See things I like #1.
- I like looking at the horizon at a beach, because even though visually the sky and ocean look like they’ve ended, you know they’re really going on infinitely
- I like the weird sort of hop very small birds do to get around on land
I feel happier already! I should do this more often.
The mind can conjure a lot of odd things in your sleep, but my all-time weirdest dream was someone coming up to me, yelling, “Kim, you’re NOT sexy!” and then I woke up